Braces have come a long way over the years and have helped give millions of people perfect smiles, but who knew they had such an interesting history? Whether you opt for the latest Invisalign braces or choose to go with the more traditional metal ones, here are some fun facts you might not have known about braces:
- Pierre Fauchard designed the first dental braces in 1728. His braces were made up of a flat metal piece that was connected to a patient’s teeth by thread.
- Even though wearers have a mouth full of metal, braces will NOT increase a person’s risk of getting hit by lighting.
- Braces aren’t magnetic. So there’s no need to worry about braces setting off metal detectors or picking up any radio transmissions!
- Nickel titanium, the metal found in some braces wire, was developed by NASA. It has shape memory properties — meaning it can hold and retain its shape — that’s activated by pressure and body heat.
- Some cements that are used to attach the brackets onto teeth include a fluoride-releasing substance which can help reduce tooth decay.
- Clear brackets for braces weren’t invented until the early 1980’s.
- Invisalign was invented in 1997 and released to the public in 2000.
- Learn your lesson the first time: nearly 25% of patients will have to get braces again because they didn’t wear their retainers.
Braces can be a very effective way to get a beautiful smile. And with ever-growing advancements, it’s getting easier and more cost-effective to get healthy teeth and a perfect smile. Dakota Dental offers Invisalign services and their Apple Valley dentists are happy to help you go over your various options to get your smile makeover.
The family dentists at Dakota Dental work to make learning about taking care of your teeth fun! Contact Dakota Dental today for more information.